Mrs. Lincoln Shopped Here
The House of Peacock first opened its doors on February 9, 1837, the same year Chicago (population 4,000) was incorporated as a city. According to one historian, the opening of the city’s first retail jewelry establishment in the small frame building on Lake Street marked Chicago’s passing “from semi-savage conditions to civilization and refinement.”
Founder Elijah Peacock, a skilled third-generation watch and jewelry repairman, was lauded for using his craft to repair pocket watches and enabling his clientele to purchase some “old-world elegance.”
When the great fire engulfed the city in 1871, the House of Peacock survived; all the valuable merchandise had been locked in a fireproof vault.
Elijah passed the mantle to his son Charles Daniel, and in 1889, the name was changed to C.D.Peacock. As the city grew, so did C.D.Peacock. Each store was designed to be a showplace for the finest jewelry, watches, and gifts. That commitment to excellence was still at the forefront when the Michigan Ave. and suburban stores were created.
From the earliest days, the record books read like a veritable Who’s Who of Chicago: Cyrus McCormick, George M. Pullman, Potter Palmer, Marshall Field, and Mary Todd Lincoln. C.D.Peacock continues to cater to athletes, entertainers and other celebrities from Chicago and all parts of the United States. As the oldest guild jeweler in the Chicago area, C.D.Peacock’s tradition of commitment to quality and service continues today.